This is an official category of Tango Buenos Aires Festival & World Cup. Unrestricted entry, amateurs and professionals. One winning couple will automatically qualify to compete at the Tango Buenos Aires Festival and Dance World Cup, starting in the semifinal rounds on August 15-22, 2018. Together with the title of the Canadian champions in the category, the couple will get two tickets from the city of residence in Canada to the City of Buenos Aires, including airfares and travel, accommodation and meal expenses for the days of the semifinals and finals. To be eligible to register, dance partners must:
- be 18 years or older by the start date of the local competition
- demonstrate a minimum of 1 (one) year of residence within the area of influence of the Preliminary.
The couple must be available during the 3 days of competition in Montreal on July 27-29, 2018, in the presence of the official committee of Judges accredited by TANGO BA Buenos Aires under the Supervision of BA Referee (Veedor).
Fist Round and Semifinals Tango Pista // July 28th, 2018 //
- Final Tango Pista // July 29th, 2018 //
Timeline – schedule link Judging criteria
1) All dancers should respect space and speed of other couples on the dance floor.
2) Once formed, the couple must not separate while the music is playing.
3) For the position to be considered correct, the body of one of the members of the couple must be contained all the time by the arm of the other. In certain figures it may be flexible, but not throughout the duration of the dance.
4) All the movements must be made within the space allowed by the couple’s embrace.
5) The couple may perform any commonly used figures of “social” tango, including barridas (sweeps), sacadas al piso (drawn to the floor), enrosques (twists), etc.
6) Jumps, figures that involve losing the contact of both feet with the floor and all other choreographic possibilities typical of Tango Stage are completely forbidden.
7) As is typical in a dancehall, couples must constantly move counterclockwise and may not stay in the same part of the choreographic space as this would obstruct the circulation on the dance floor.
8) The quality of the dance will be judged based on the couple’s musicality and walking style.
9) Outfits are not taken into consideration during the judging process.
No one will be allowed to register two or more times in the same category. It is possible to register in different ones, with the same or a different partner. If both members of the couple are natives or residents of different cities, they will have to choose the city of residence or birth of either one, as couples are allowed to represent only one city. In order to ensure the impartiality and professional integrity of the jury members, contestants will not be able to participate in seminars, workshops and/or classes taught by any member of the jury, as long as they are in the competition. During the competition In the Tango Pista category, couples will compete in group performances, dancing to three songs, recorded or played live, selected by the Organizer. Once formed, the couple must not separate while the music is playing. For the position to be considered correct, the body of one of the members of the couple must be contained all the time by the arm of the other. It is understood that in certain figures, this may be flexible, but not throughout the duration of the dance. All movements must be made within the space allowed by the couple’s embrace. Within these parameters, the couple may perform any commonly used figures of “social” tango, including barridas (sweeps), sacadas al piso (drawn to the floor), enrosques (twists), etc. Jumps, figures that involve losing the contact of both feet with the floor and all other choreographic possibilities typical of Tango Stage are completely forbidden. As is typical in a dancehall, couples must constantly move counterclockwise and may not stay in the same part of the choreographic space as this would obstruct the circulation on the dance floor. The jury and scores In all categories, the jury will be composed of a minimum of 4 (four) members, who understand and accept the rules of the competition, and commit to their compliance. The jury will determine the score of the participating couples. The jury will be appointed in accordance with the Office of Festivals, the Organizer of the Preliminary and the Association of Teachers, Dancers and Choreographers of Argentine Tango (AMBCTA). The final score for each performance will result from the accumulation of points, given by each member of the jury on a scale of 1 to 10, in accordance with the criteria. The Jury will take into account the couple’s musicality and walking style as fundamental to the score, as well, as the compliance with the rules. Outfits will not be taken into consideration during the judging process. The jury will choose one winning couple. Also, the jury (with the agreement of the Organizer) may grant awards and special mentions to the second and third place, and will be entitled to award other mentions if deemed appropriate. The Organizer will be entitled to eliminate from the competition those participants that: a) Do not comply with the rules. b) Commit any moral offense or improper act that tarnishes the image of the Championship or may cause displeasure in the public. This first year only, an incredible and amazing prices promotion! Take advantage of this by doing your Registration before July 12th 2018. We thank our sponsors for making this possible, supporting our passion and trusting in us! Be a part of the history of Argentine tango in Canada and make an act of presence, courage, as the lyrics of the argentine tango say: cuando quiera y donde quiera, porque el tango es …!
Official Category Tango Pista price list
|Competing Couple Official category competition registration fee: Tango Pista|
|Last Registration Period June 2th – July 12th closing date|
Tango school Support Programs
Services of preparation, pre-evaluation and practice programs are offered by participating tango schools and recognized by Tango Canada Championship. You can consult the list and obtain that support.